Michael started his private equity career in 1996 and today has over 20 years of investment experience primarily focused on growth equity and leveraged transactions in water purification, wastewater remediation, advanced materials, sensing technologies, advanced fuels, and emissions control and abatement. Michael is well recognized for his leadership on the boards of Seven Seas and Quench USA which led to the merger and subsequent IPO of AquaVentures (NYSE: WAAS).
Prior to co-founding Element in 2005, Michael was a Partner at Advent International where he led investments for the firm's environmental investment practice. While at Advent, Michael also served as acting CFO of one of Advent's portfolio companies. Before Advent, he was a Principal at EnerTech Capital Partners, an energy technology venture capital firm. At EnerTech, Michael also served as acting COO for one of EnerTech's portfolio companies. Prior to private equity, Michael worked for SEI Investments, holding a variety of business development, product development and sales management positions.
Michael received a BA in English from Denison University and his MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Serving on Portfolio Company Boards:
- Hayward Gordon
- AquaVenture Holdings (NYSE: WAAS)
- Soleras Advanced Coatings (acquired by AGIC Capital)
- LumaSense (acquired by Advanced Energy)
- Icynene (acquired by FFL Partners)
- Quench USA, Inc. (acquired by AquaVenture Holdings)
- Catalytic Solutions (acquired by Clean Diesel Technologies)
- Coastal Security Systems (acquired by Bariston Partners)
- Dymec (acquired by GarrettCom)
- Five Cubits (acquired by Command Alkon)
- GarrettCom (acquired by Belden)
- Ionics (acquired by General Electric)